Turing is the career platform for 1.1M+ engineers around the world. Our mission is to unleash the world’s untapped human potential. We use machine learning and automation to source and match exceptional software engineers from around the world to top U.S. and Silicon Valley companies for remote developer positions.
We’re headquartered in Palo Alto, California and are a remote first company with 500+ strong team members.
- We have raised a total of $140 Million at a $1.1B valuation.
- We have grown > 10x in the last year.
- Turing has been featured in America's best startup employers by Forbes, 2021 and in Top 10 most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company, 2021.
- Turing’s customers include Microsoft, Twitter, Airbnb, Lyft, PayPal, and hundreds of other Fortune 500 companies and fast-growing startups.
About the role:
Backend Engineering is a diverse, global, agile engineering team that moves smart and fast by coming up with new backend systems technologies to improve and scale capabilities across businesses and use cases,
We are looking for an impactful Engineering Manager - Search Engineering who can identify opportunities and leverage the team to translate them into live solutions. The ideal candidate for this role is an independent thinker who makes convincing, evidence-based decisions. He/She should be able to devise clear roadmaps to innovation and is comfortable thinking strategically and diving deep.
Engineering leader will spearhead the Backend Infrastructure organizations at Turing. He/She will set a culture of engineering and operational excellence through building the best-in-class industry backend infrastructure.
Area of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for building a high throughput, low latency, industry scale information retrieval system which empowers Turing search engine.
- Collaborating with Product leaders, engineering leaders, and data scientists leaders to build machine learning ranking models, the indexing infrastructure, features engineering, etc.
- Leverage state-of-the-art indexing/retrieval & ML technologies to improve the freshness, relevancy and infrastructure efficiency of information retrieval
- Being a decision-maker around software architecture best practices, including scalability, performance, availability, maintainability, extensibility, and security
- Provide technical leadership to a dynamic team throughout the software development life cycle using hands-on development and R&D
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best engineering talent
- Understanding of ways to lead a remote team developing in an Agile environment
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- 5+ years experience working on search infrastructure (some experience with open source technologies, such as ElasticSearch, is a plus)
- Experience in solving complex scaling, latency, or low-level system performance problems in high-volume online serving systems.
- Experience with NodeJs, SQL databases, Microservices, etc.
- 1+ years experience in leading/managing backend engineers
- Experience with short release cycles, the full software lifecycle, and experience working on a product that’s been released for public consumption
- Experience building and leading a team in the development and rapid delivery of software products
Preferred areas of Experience:
- Experience with Search infrastructure and ranking infrastructure.
- Experience with ML-based search ranking algorithms.
- Experience working with distributed teams (software engineers, product managers, etc.)
- Experience with cross-team collaboration and driving cross-functional roadmap.
- Experience managing customer-facing products and owning their metrics.
- Experience working in both startup and enterprise environments.
Advantages of joining Turing:
- Amazing work culture (Super collaborative & supportive work environment; 5 days a week)
- Awesome colleagues (Surround yourself with top talent from Meta, Google, LinkedIn etc. as well as people with deep startup experience)
- Competitive compensation with great tax benefits
- Expect fast career growth (High growth unicorn firm)
- Flexible work timings
- Full-time remote opportunity
Turing is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
For applicants from the European Union, please review Turing's GDPR notice here.