Turing is the career platform for 1.1M+ engineers around the world. Our mission is to unleash the world’s untapped human potential. We use machine learning and automation to source and match exceptional software engineers from around the world to top U.S. and Silicon Valley companies for remote developer positions.
We’re headquartered in Palo Alto, California and are a remote first company with 500+ strong team members.
- We have raised a total of $140 Million at a $1.1B valuation.
- We have grown > 10x in the last year.
- Turing has been featured in America's best startup employers by Forbes, 2021 and in Top 10 most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company, 2021.
- Turing’s customers include Microsoft, Twitter, Airbnb, Lyft, PayPal, and hundreds of other Fortune 500 companies and fast-growing startups.
The Turing Engineering Team builds, scales and evolves the engineering systems critical to Turing's business. You will be working with engineering, product management and internal customers to build and scale the systems to fulfill business needs.
As a Senior Software Engineer (Backend), you are a strong engineer building the systems that drive long term sustainable growth. You demonstrate strong ownership and the enthusiasm to lead initiatives with your cross-functional peers to a successful launch. You are also pragmatic in upleveling the engineering excellence to mature the system as the team and system scales up.
What you’ll do
- Design, develop, and operate scalable, robust, and highly available systems to support critical business initiatives foundational to Turing
- Lead and drive your initiatives end-to-end to demonstrate strong leadership and ownership
- Work with our Engineering customers to understand new requirements and address them in a scalable and efficient manner with minimal disruption to business
- Uphold strong engineering excellence with attention to detail through design docs, unit tests, code reviews, standards, design reviews, real time monitoring, peer mentorship, and more
What we're looking for
- Strong problem solving skills. You will encounter problems that can have multiple solutions with pros and cons, you can systematically go through them and find out what is the best approach forward in the long run; Sometimes, you even are the one to call out a problem - not blocked or waiting for leaders to tell you so
- Strong communication skills. In Turing, we believe no important work is an island, so you will be collaborating with your peers, product managers and sometimes business users
- 7+ years of industry software engineering experience
- Experience leading software projects full cycle proactively in a cross-functional manner with product managers, quality assurance or other functional units
- Experience building & operating scalable distributed systems and platform architectures which can withstand the test of real world scenarios
- Strong sense and practical experience of robust software engineering practices - you know how to tell between good and bad code/designs/architecture - you've got engineering common sense
- Experience in Node.js (Express/Typescript) in a Linux environment, and a willingness to learn whatever is needed to get the job done
- Experience in Node.js test frameworks and proper unit test designs (jest, mocha, or similar)
- Experience in working with ORMs (Sequelize, TypeORM, etc)
- Experience in Production Excellence: realtime monitoring, incident management, oncall rotation (Prometheus, Grafana, PagerDuty, Datadog, Grafana Oncall, ELK stack, etc)
What would be a plus
- Experience in working with Google Cloud Platform (Compute, Storage, Scheduler, Task, Function, etc), or Amazon Cloud
- Experience in Python 3 in a Linux environment, and a willingness to learn whatever is needed to get the job done
- Experience in Python 3 test frameworks and proper unit test designs (nose, unittest, or similar)
- You're native in *nix environments
Advantages of joining Turing:
- Amazing work culture (Super collaborative & supportive work environment; 5 days a week)
- Awesome colleagues (Surround yourself with top talent from Meta, Google, LinkedIn etc. as well as people with deep startup experience)
- Competitive compensation with great tax benefits
- Expect fast career growth (High growth unicorn firm)
- Flexible work timings
- Full-time remote opportunity
Turing is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
For applicants from the European Union, please review Turing's GDPR notice here.