Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the world’s leading cloud-native Location Intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts, and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola, and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning, and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of more than 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to perform this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
Since its inception, CARTO has been based on PostgreSQL. This worked well and many of our customers are still using this version of the platform. Looking to the future, we see some limitations with this architecture, because:
- PostgreSQL is not easy to scale, as data volumes and complexity grow. - Customers don’t want to move their data outside of their data warehouses.- Our core business is geospatial. We are not focused on improving the performance of large data warehouses. Nor are we looking to compete against the leading cloud data platforms such as Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, or Databricks. Rather than compete, we collaborate and build together, complimenting their spatial offering.
Our mission is to evolve the CARTO product, adapting it to current market needs. In October 2021, we launched a new version of our platform that provides a fully cloud-native experience, extending the spatial capabilities of the leading data warehouses platforms: BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with previous experience in geospatial to join CARTO’s product team and build the next generation geospatial platform running on top of the most popular data warehouses: BigQuery, Snowflake, DataBricks, Redshift, and Aurora.
LocationThe position is open to remote, preferably Central European Time zone. In fact, we are mostly working remotely right now, but we do have offices in Madrid and Seville in Spain.
- Work on cutting-edge technology, building something unique in the geospatial world to bring full native capabilities for geospatial analytics in the top data warehouses.
- Push BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift to the limit. You’ll also really understand the internals of these data warehouses.
- Be part of an amazing team, really motivated and willing to address new challenges which have not been solved before (for example, define a standard to work with huge spatial temporal datasets).
- Initiative, a can-do attitude, and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy, and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together).
- Good knowledge of the GIS industry, 4+ years working in geospatial as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git, documentation, testing,...).
- Need to be super fluent with SQL and Spatial SQL.
- You should have contributed to some important geospatial open source projects.
- Provable experience with open source geospatial stack. You should have played before with some of the following technologies (not required all of them!): PostGIS, GDAL/OGR, Shapely, GeoServer, PgRouting, GeoPandas, Tippecanoe, Rasterio.
- You’ve worked before with NodeJS or Typescript (or you’re really willing to learn it).
- As the team is mainly based in Europe, the position requires working within our timezone (CET) +- max 3 hours.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field—or equivalent practical experience.
Nice to have
- Previous experience with Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or Databricks.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or AWS
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Provide us your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest. Be sure to let us know why you’re a great match for this role and for CARTO!
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or check our product, follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).