With an exceptionally diverse team of more than 200 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Insight Partners, Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to perform this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
Since its inception, CARTO has been based on PostgreSQL. This worked well and many of our customers are still using this version of the platform. We saw some limitations with this architecture, and we evolved the CARTO product, adapting it to current market needs. In October 2021, we launched a new version of our platform that provides a fully cloud-native experience, extending the spatial capabilities of the leading data warehouses platforms: BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift.
Some of our current challenges are solving problems like design high scalable platform to calculate optimized routes of pipelines over terabytes of spatial data and hundreds of constraints in seconds, predicting revenue for simulated stores in a whole country applying ML techniques, or process, aggregate, and enrich billions of transactions across the globe to serve them in a real-time application.
Site Planning is an example of a product created by our team in 2021-2022, using state-of-the-art algorithms in geo data science + curate data from premium providers + cutting edge technology on the frontend side (deck.gl + webgl), it allows a business user with no knowledge in geospatial to decide what’s the best place to open a new store. It has became one of the best-seller products from CARTO in 2022. Companies like Gap, Taco Bell, Goiko, Mars are using this product in production today for their decision making.
We are looking for a Lead Backend Engineer to join CARTO’s professional services team and build the next generation geospatial apps running on top of the most popular data warehouses: BigQuery, Snowflake, DataBricks, Redshift, and Aurora.
Ideally, experienced with large software applications of either very high demand or with very large databases. Someone mature enough in our approach to software development in how you test, fine-tune, and document when required. Also, with previous experience with modern tools for CI/CD: Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Drone, etc. Also, a skilled communicator, that is able to communicate in English.
Location: The position is open to remote, preferably Central European Time zone. In fact, we are mostly working remotely right now, but we do have offices in Madrid and Seville in Spain. If you work remotely, some sporadic trips to Seville will be required from time to time, to gather with your coworkers or to attend some relevant events. In any case, no more than 5% of your time.
- Manage an incredible team with an amazing geospatial background, motivated and willing to address new challenges that build cutting-edge backend systems that feed beautiful maps and meaningful geospatial apps.
- Lead and be technically responsible for the development of products on top of CARTO. We have a challenge here to boost our location intelligence platform to meet specific use cases in a cloud native approach. See an example: https://carto.com/solutions/site-selection
- Be responsible for code quality in all project components. You will decide how the development process is.
- Deploy solutions with the most modern technology stack including: Google Cloud Run, Github Actions, Drone, Kubernetes, Firebase, Redshift, Prefect, BigQuery and a big etc.
- Support communications with the client's technical team.
- Recommend improvements to the development team, and pass them books, talks, and videos. Help them to learn and grow.
- Work on cutting-edge technology, building something unique in the geospatial world to bring full native capabilities for geospatial analytics to the top data warehouses.
- Push BigQuery, Snowflake, Databricks, and Redshift to the limit. You’ll also really understand the internals of these data warehouses.
- Because Professional Services is the first client of the technology built by CARTO, you will have regular meetings with the product team to give feedback and propose features to the CARTO product roadmap
- Initiative, a can-do attitude, and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy, and a collaborative mindset (code reviews, pair programming, promote teamwork, succeed together).
- 8+ years working as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git, documentation, testing,...) and previous experience managing an engineering team
- You’ve worked before with NodeJS or Typescript (or you’re really willing to learn it).
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field—or equivalent practical experience.
Nice to have
- Desirable experience with open source geospatial stack.
- Having played before with some of the following technologies (not required all of them!): PostGIS, GDAL/OGR, Shapely, GeoServer, PgRouting, GeoPandas, Tippecanoe, RasterioPrevious experience with Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or Databricks.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or AWS
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Real Flexible work hours. You'd have the level of autonomy to create your own schedule and find a work-life balance that works best for you!
- Education stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Provide us your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest. Be sure to let us know why you’re a great match for this role and for CARTO!
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or check our product, follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).