Designing a logo can be both a pleasure and a challenge. It depends on how good you are with advanced software and whether you have experience with graphic design. However, if you are entirely new to all this, then it can be a good idea to learn about the entire process in detail. The following are the main steps that you have to follow:
- Understanding Your Requirements
Before the actual design work begins, you have to spend some time figuring out precisely what you are looking for in the design. Most importantly, you have to identify your brand as the logo has to be based on the attributes of the brand itself.
If you don’t know how to build a brand, then you can start by asking yourself the following questions:
- What problems are my company solving in this world?
- What makes my business different from others in the same industry?
- Who is my target audience?
- Where do I see myself taking my business to in the future?
- Researching the Industry
Once you have a good understanding of your own brand, you can do some research on your industry to see what you are getting into and how you can prepare. For instance, you can take a look at other popular businesses and note down the features that have helped them stand out from others. You can also compare their logo designs and analyze how they connect their brands which include the colors, fonts, icons, etc.
Here’s the thing- graphic design’s impact is quite evident in almost every industry today. Whether it’s fashion or software, e-commerce or even road transportation, companies in all sectors need websites, promotional content, social media images, etc. So, you will be able to find tons of content online to learn what’s trending in the design industry and what’s not. You can also check out famous logo catalogs to draw inspiration from the works of others.
- Learning the Basics
You can’t create a top-quality design unless you know the fundamental qualities of an impactful logo which are:
- Unique: It’s distinct and unlike anything else out there. This makes it easier to identify the design even when it’s surrounded by hundreds of others.
- Simple: Contrary to what many people think, intricate and elaborate designs don’t usually make for great logos. Instead, you should always try to keep it simple and keep in mind that it is necessary to have accessibility in design. This is because an uncomplicated design can get the message across with massive impact and without confusion.
- Timeless: It’s designed in a way that it remains relevant as much in the future as it’s today. Examples include Nike, Shell, Coca-Cola, etc. whose logos have survived decades and continue to be popular even today.
- Uses Right Colors and Fonts: There is the psychology of color in marketing and branding which budding entrepreneurs don’t always know of. Different fonts also create mixed emotions in individuals. Hence, a compelling logo must use the right colors and fonts that are in line with the brand’s ideology.
At this point, you can sit down with your business partners and creative members of your team to create an abstract design brief. You can discuss the kind of message you want to send with the design and the type of brand identity that you want to establish in the industry. Remember, you don’t get to change this that quickly once the design is ready and used everywhere. So, take your time to get it right the first time.
- Sketching and Creating the Final Design
You can’t create the perfect logo before you have designed dozens of bad ones. So, you need a sketchbook and a pencil and wear your thinking cap to create as many unique designs as possible. Don’t try to be perfect in this task- the idea is to just let your thoughts flow freely and reflect in the sketches. You can also use graphic design software to do this if you have the required experience and skills.
Once you have identified the winner design, you can recreate it in a digital format with more perfection and add or remove design elements as you see fit. Then you can just download the design and use it wherever you want- website, blogs, business cards, etc.
Don’t Have the Time to Create a Logo Yourself?
There is nothing quite like creating your own logo. It’s fun and often a fulfilling experience that you may remember for years. The only problem with it is that it takes a long time to create a logo that aptly meets your requirements and looks professional. So, if you don’t want to go through that entire process, then you can consider the following options:
- Design Competitions: Some websites hosts design competitions. You can provide a design brief to the members and set a prize amount. Depending on how large it is, dozens or even hundreds of graphic designers then participate to win. The winner gets the prize, and you get to keep the logo design. However, this method is usually expensive, and you can expect to spend at least $150 to $200.
- Logo Makers: A logo maker is a software program that offers a cheaper and faster solution for your design requirements. In fact, with the right tool, you can create a logo in less than five minutes with results that are more than impressive. This is because you are provided with some of the best design templates, icons, fonts, etc. and you just have to combine them together. Some of the advanced programs even use technologies like artificial intelligence that make your job easier. You can try using an online logo creator if you don’t have the budget for a software program at the time being.
Are Your Ready to Create Your New Logo?
So, this was all that you need to know to create attractive and compelling logo designs. Choose your option wisely but never settle for an “ok” design. This is because brands are priceless and must be perfected irrespective of the cost and labor. Good luck!