Messari is the leading provider of crypto market intelligence products that help professionals navigate crypto/Web3 with confidence. We bring transparency and smarter qualitative and quantitative analytics to the industry by combining a global research database with a comprehensive suite of data visualization and asset discovery tools. We help drive smarter participation in crypto from individuals and institutions alike.
The name “Messari” came from the Franciscan monks who declared "clean books" a moral imperative during the renaissance and pushed merchants to use proper accounting methods. This led to the flourishing of investment via "trust but verify" methods and industry growth throughout Europe. That's what we aim to do. Provide participants, investors, builders, platforms, and everyone else with reliable information to better participate in the crypto ecosystem.
Our users range from some of the most prominent analysts, investors, and crypto individuals to top organizations including Coinbase, BitGo, Anchorage, 0x, Chainanalysis, Ledger, Compound, MakerDAO, and many more.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to improve the reliability, consistency, and statistical accuracy of our real-time data streams. Our systems currently take in 10,000+ events per second and we are looking to redouble our commitment to data quality by building new tooling around our core data feeds. As a backend engineer, you will have an extensive impact on our market data infrastructure and deal with highly complex data coming in from numerous sources at blazing speed.
This is a unique role where you will work full-time on our market data streams, writing both new features and statistical models to supervise application code. This means adding and managing real-time and historical data providers, implementing changes to our price and volume calculation methodologies, protecting our databases against invalid input, and more. This role is focused on our market data streams, which are our highest-throughput components, with potential to expand in scope over time.
Our data is both real time and historical, which each present unique challenges in how we store and provide access to our data. Our APIs in this area of our system are RESTful, and we use a lot of websockets. We like Go for its simplicity and maintainability, and we embrace Rust for the most resource-intensive components. We deploy using Kubernetes on Amazon Web Services. That being said, we're not dogmatic and always believe in using the best tool for the job.
What you'll do
- Streamline the ingestion of high throughput trade events we receive from dozens of sources around the clock
- Design and build new features to supervise our ingestion system, detect outliers and ensure data quality
- Write and maintain probabilistic & statistical models to help solve ingestion problems: how do we know when a source of data is degraded or down? How should we measure the quality of incoming data in real time?
- Scale up our systems by an order of magnitude
Who you are
- 2+ years experience with modern backend technologies including Golang, Postgres, and AWS
- academic or professional background in statistics or data science a big plus
- some Rust experience beneficial but not required (be prepared to learn it!)
- a desire to work on big complex projects with lots of creative freedom
- a passion for shipping high-quality products
- empathetic and love to help your teammates grow
Projects you could work on:
- Data integrity! Build tools for us to respond to data incidents, create redundancy, and validate our ever-growing database of all crypto market data going back to 2009
- Derivatives! Build new ingestion pipelines for derivative market data, and incorporate those new data streams into our core spot trade engine
- Statistical models! Design systems to mitigate real-time data incidents by inspecting incoming data and checking it for reasonableness
- Rust! Design and build Rust implementations of new and existing services as needed to meet and exceed performance requirements
Salary Ranges for this position (depending upon experience):
Associate: $135,000 - $150,000
Mid: $150,000 - $195,000
Senior: $195,000 - $200,000 +
What you’ll love about Messari.
We understand in order for you to do your best work, you need the resources to stay healthy, recharge, and feel like you have ownership in the future we are building.
- Competitive Salary and Employee Stock Options: Everyone in our team contributes to the success of our game-changing products, which is why we share all our wins company-wide. As we continue to succeed, stock options and a competitive salary mean you get to enjoy the upside!
- Health, Dental, & Vision: We care about your well-being so we contribute to the cost of your health benefits. Messari covers 80% of your health, dental, and vision!
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Use pretax dollars for any health care needs.
- Life Insurance: Provided to you at no cost, with coverage up to 1x your Annual Salary.
- Disability Insurance: Offering Long-term and Short-term disability to provide a portion of your income during times you are unable to work!
- Flexible Time Off: Forget accrued PTO days. We believe in the power of personal time, so we offer as much flexible time as you need. Just clear it with your team and bon voyage!
- Paid Parental Leave: We encourage you to take care of your little one! We provide 18 weeks for primary caregiver / 4 weeks for secondary caregiver
- WeWork: All Access Pass.
- 401k: 3% Match when you invest in your future with our 401K.
- Flexible working life and $500 WFH set up allowance: Work-life balance is important. Whether you want to work from home or come to our office in New York the choice is yours. To help you get comfortable working from home we’ll assist with a $500 contribution.
- Community & Social Events: Messari is a community, we work hard, and bring each other up! Fun and regular company events to relax and connect with teammates.
- Learning and Development: We are dedicated to your professional development. We contribute $1,500 annually for you to invest in your continued education.
- Health & Wellness Perks: Work-life balance and your wellbeing are important to us. To contribute to your mental & physical wellbeing we gift you a brand new Whoop and a subscription to Headspace, as well as Health Advocacy as part of our Employee Assistance Plan.
*As Messari is a fully remote company hiring candidates around the world, our perks and benefit packages may adjust based on your location.
Join our Global, Fully-Remote Team
We believe in building services that help people around the world engage with crypto and seek out talent that can broaden how we build for a diverse, global audience. At Messari, we welcome all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic status, religion, age, marital or parental status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.